Mom❤ Christian💒 Traveler🚗 Sunrises & Sunsets☀ Letterboxing🔎 Reading📚 Guitar🎸 Music🎶 Fishing🎣 Hiking🌲Painting🎨 SnapChat: Jennifermosheim👻
Report inappropriate content
One #Blanket I finally finished #Crocheting.
#FridayNight (whooowhoop). #Crochet #ColorsMakeMeHappy
#DownByTheRiver #TennesseeRiver #LoudonTN #MyDogCharlie #WattsBarLake #Monday #Evening #Dog #Peaceful #Relaxing at Loudon, Tennessee
#Sunset #SunsetOverTheRiver #SunsetOverTheTennesseeRiver #LoudonTN #Reflection #GodsPainting #GodsSkyShow at Loudon, Tennessee
#SunsetOverTheRiver #SunsetOverTheTennesseeRiver #LoudonTN #TenneseeRiver #DownByTheRiver #MyFavoriteTimeOfDay #GodsPainting #GodsSkyShow at Loudon, Tennessee
An #Evening #DownByTheRiver #TennesseeRiver #WattsBarLake #LoudonTN #MyDogCharlie #LayingOnABlanket #Peaceful #Monday #JustHangingOut #Outside Enjoying the #Beauty at Loudon, Tennessee
Listed on The #NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces
So, the “ #PoorHouse ” term were actual places…(always learning something new). “ #Poorhouses ” were government ran facilities to support and provide housing for the dependent or needy-in return for work.
Poorhouses were usually situated on the grounds of a “ #PoorFarm ”. These places were common in the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Poor Farms were county or town-run residences where paupers (mainly elderly and disabled people) were supported at pubic expense. The use of Poor Farms declined after the #SocialSecurityAct took effect in 1935. Most all closed completely by 1950.
Most Poor Farms produced some sort of produce, grain, and/or livestock that they consumed. Residents were expected to provide labor to the extent that their health allowed, both in the fields and in providing housekeeping and care for other residents.
The Wythe County #PoorFarm complex is in #WythevilleVA . This Poor Farm was established in 1858 & remained in operatuion until 1957. It was the 2nd Poor Farm in #WytheCounty (the 1st was in operation from 1825-1858). Still standing on Wythe County Poor Farm are 8 pauper homes (built in 1858), the overseer’s house (built in 1890), a shed (built in 1920), a Spring House (built in 1858), a Smoke house (built in 1858), a chicken coop (built in 1900), & the Wash House (built in 1858). (This is a really rough road-if u can even call it that-to get to the Poor Farm. Very rutted out and spring running thru it. Wasn't sure I was going to make it the actual poorhouses). *** Helen Keller’s teacher, Anne Sullivan & her younger brother, James were raised on a Poor Farm in Tewksbury Massachusetts. at Wythe County Poorhouse Farm
#ConfederateMonument of #TazewellCounty - #TazewellVirginia
This Confederate Monument was erected on 4/1/1903 by the United #DaughtersOfTheConfederatcy -Jeffersonville Chapter. It sits in front of the Tazewell County Courthouse on Main St. (Most Confederate monuments face South, but due to the position of the courthouse, this memorial faces North). The inscription on the Memorial reads: “To the Confederate Soldiers of Tazewell 1861-1865”
Men from #TazewellCountyVA served in various regiments during the #CivilWar . Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county.
Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tazewell County, Virginia: - 5th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry) (Confederate). Company G probably recruited in Tazewell County. - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company H (Tazewell) - 13th Battalion, Virginia Reserves (Confederate). Company B. - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company K
- 16th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Companies C, F, and I. - 22nd Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Bowen's Virginia Mounted Riflemen) (Confederate). Company F, H, and I.
- 23rd Battalion, Virginia Infantry Reserves (Confederate). Company C & D. - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company C (McDowell Partisan Rangers) and E. - 37th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Dunn's Battalion, Partisan Rangers) (Confederate). Company K. - 45th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company A (Floyd Guard), Company G (West Augusta Rifles), Company H (Tazewell Rangers), and Company K (Tazewell Boys). - 50th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company C. - 51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company L.
#SaveTheMonuments at Tazewell Circuit Court
#ClinchValleyRollerMills - #CedarBluffVirginia
Listed on The #NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces & #VirginiaLandmark
The main building was built in 1856 and is 3 ½ stories tall. Part of the main section was rebuilt after a fire in 1884. Additions were built onto the mill for grain storage, saw mill, and an office. The Clinch Valley River Mill 1st operated as one of a group of grain, lumber, and woolen mills clustered along the #ClinchRiver . After additions in 1896, it became one of the region’s largest producers of patent, high-grade flour. at Clinch Valley Roller Mills
#JesseesMill - #LebanonVirginia
Listed on The #NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces & #VirginiaLandmark
The 1st GristMill, dam, and millrace were built here before 1790 by #JohnJessee. (The mill predates the census and tax records of 1790). He was a Revolutionary War soldier in the 10th Regiment from Caswell County NC. He purchased the land here in 1724 from William Gilmore. Handmade wooden machinery was installed in the mill before 1814. His grandson, Andrew “Jack” Jessee converted the mill into 3 stories in 1878. More additions were added on in 1890.
The mill was the primary source for ground agricultural products and other trading in the #MillCreek Area. The Mill Creek Community used to also have a church, school, blacksmith, and a general store in addition to the mill.
Jessees Mill operated until 1932 when it closed. at Jessees Mill, Virginia
#BushMill - #NickelsvilleVirginia
Listed on The #NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces
James Culbertson originally built a #GristMill here in 1831 on Amos Branch. It has also been called the Bond Mill and the Dickenson’s Mill, as it changed hands several different times. Valentine & Nancy Busch operated the original mill built by James Culbertson until April Fools Day in 1895, when it burned down. Then at 88 years old, Valentine Bush & his sons rebuilt the grist mill-the one that stands here today.
This mill operated until the 1950’s. It has been restored and has the waterwheel. The Bush Mill stands 3 stories and is timber framed on a limestone foundation. The waterwheel is 24-and 4 feet wide. This #waterwheel was added in the 1920’s and it still functions.
#ExploringVirgina #NickelsvilleVA #LoveOldGristMills at Bush Mill, Virginia
#FieldsOfTheWood - #MurphyNC
A #BiblePark were #God’s Word is display amid God’s Creation ( #CherokeeCounty description)
Very beautiful & amazing place! Heard about this place a couple years ago & finally made it! The #Bible theme attraction has been here over 75 years! 210 Acres dedicated to the Bible.
This place has the world’s largest set of The #TenCommandments ! They are written on the hillside in concrete letters that are 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide! Also had the World’s Largest #NewTestament open concrete Bible that is 30 feet tall & 50 feet wide! And you can go to the top of the Ten Commandment/Bible Mountain for beautiful view over the whole place and the mountains-and especially for a sunset! AND it has the World’s Largest Alter at 80 feet long. This alter marks the spot where #AJTomlinson says he met God. There is also Prayer Mountain, a Baptismal pool, a wall called the Psalms of Praise, and a re-creation of Jesus’ Tomb.
Ambrose Jessup (AJ) Tomlinson was the visionary who built Fields of the Wood, after a talk with God on a hilltop in 1903. He was a former Quaker, then member of the Church of God, and then founded the #ChurchOfGodOfProphecy .
AJ was working for the American Bible Society as a #Quaker Bible Salesman in the Southwestern mountains of #NorthCarolina . On the morning of June 13, 1903, AJ climbed to a hilltop where he said he met God. He walked back down the hilltop and had a plan for Pentecostals. He started the protestant denomination called The Church of God of Prophecy (Had a few different names before but it is called the Church of God of Prophecy today). 37 years later after his talk with God on the hill top, in November 1940, he began working on building this place, Fields of the Wood. at Fields Of The Wood, North Carolina
#BurraBurraMine - #Ducktown Basin TN
A #SulfuricAcid #Wasteland …. First time I have seen such a #desolate, #lifeless, #polluted and honestly eerie place first hand…. Located in #Tennessee ’s most SouthEast corner sits this Interesting & unusual place… And after all the years after the mining & smelting stopped, I found it to still have a strange smell in the air (like on the night of July 4th and all the fireworks are being shot). The Sulphur smell is still strong on the grounds and even a strange taste in my mouth-Like #Copper and #Sulphur both.
This is a terrain laid to waste more than a hundred years ago by pollution…from #CopperMining and #smelting where #SulfuricDioxide and #acid were being released into the air.
The Burra Burra Mine is located near the center of the Copper (or Ducktown) Basin, a broad valley in the southern #AppalachianMountains near borders of Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia. The #OcoeeRiver flows through the southwestern section of the #CopperBasin .
The Burra Burra Mine extracted over 15 million tons of copper ore during its 60 years of operation between 1899 and 1959. The mine's remaining structures are listed on the #NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces.
Back in 1843, a man discovered that some of the rocks in the ground in the area contained Copper. It took a few years for companies to begin digging full scale mines in the area. A winding wagon road was blazed thru the mountains connecting the area to Cleveland TN. This road was called “ #CopperRoad ”. at Burra Burra Mine
#BlueRidgeTrainDepot - #BlueRidgeGA
Listed on The #NationalRegisterOfHistoricPlaces
The #Depot was built in 1905.
The rail line here was constructed by the Marietta & North Railroad in 1890. It changed names many times, to Atlanta, Knoxville & Northern Railway, then Louisville & Nashville, then CSX, and then Georgia Northeastern Railroad. It hangs close to the Tocca River and very scenic route (There are scenic railway tours now offered). at Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
Grave of #Nanyehi ( #NancyWard )- #IndianPrincess in #BentonTN
Nanyehi-pronounced: nan yay hee - which means, "she who walks among the spirit people." Or "One who goes about"
Nanyehi (Cherokee: ᎾᏅᏰᎯ:) known in English as Nancy Ward (c. 1738 – 1822 or 1824). She was a #BelovedWoman of the #CherokeeIndians, which means she was allowed to sit in councils and to make decisions, along with the Chiefs and other Beloved Women.
She believed in peaceful coexistence with the European-Americans and helped her people as a peace negotiator and ambassador. She also introduced them to farming and dairy production, which brough substantial changes to the Cherokee society.
Nanyehi (Nancy Ward) was born around 1738 in the Cherokee capital, #Chota (Cherokee: "City of Refuge") in what today is known as #MonroeCounty , #Tennessee near #FortLoudon . On the day she was born, a white wolf appeared on the horizon. This was very significant to the Cherokee people, as "white" was the color that symbolized "peace," and Nanyehi was born into the #WolfClan , one of the most prominent of the seven Cherokee clans. Her mother was the sister of #Attakullakulla (an influential Cherokee leader and the tribe's First Beloved Man). About 1751 she married the Cherokee "Tsu-la" or #Kingfisher , a member of the #DeerClan . They had 2 children, #Fivekiller & Catherine. Her husband died during the #BattleOfTaliwa, which was fought in #BallGroundGA in 1755 against the #CreekIndians . This was the fiercest and most decisive battle in the long war of the 1740s and 50s between the Cherokee and Creek Indians.
When Nanyehi’s (Nancy Ward) husband, Kingfisher, was shot and killed, she picked up his rifle and continued the fight, leading her people to victory. So complete was the defeat that the Creeks retreated south of the Chattahoochee River. The Cherokee’s began settling in Northern Georgia, later to become the heart of the ill-fated Cherokee Nation and the #TrailOfTears at Nancy Ward Gravesite
Psalm 113:3 (KJV)
3 From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the Lord's name is to be praised.
#SunsetOverTheMountains #Murphy #NorthCarolina #FieldsOfTheWood #MyFavoriteTimeOfDay #Sunday #Psalms #Psalms113:3 #GodsPainting #GodsSkyShow at Fields Of The Wood, North Carolina
#JennieSheltonMemorialChurch - #LamontvilleTN ( #McMinnCounty ) located on an isolated stretch of road on County Rd 4. (The #SheltonFamily originally came from #GreeneCountyTN ). Built in 1901
Beautiful church but a tragic & sad story behind the Jennie Shelton "Memorial" Church. It was built on land owned by Jennie per her request on her death bed after shooting herself while attempting suicide.
From research, Jennie was described as a lovely & beautiful young lady & both refined and intelligent.
James A Shelton got a land grant in 1820 for the land the church is on and on southward toward the #HiwasseeRiver . The Shelton family journeyed from Greene County TN to Lamontville then.
Jennie Shelton was born on August 30, 1869 to John Shelton.
After Jennie’s father passed away, her Uncle Sam was her gaurdian. Then, Jennie’s 34 year old brother Felix died. 3 years later, her younger brother Jasper passed away at age 29, and 9 years later her brother Benjamin passed away at the age of 49.
Jennie felt another loss when her Uncle Sam got married. Her 2 sisters (Dolly & Kate) were happily married & age 30, Jennie was living with her younger brother & just went thru a heartbreak with her sweetheart.
Jennie was suffering from sever depression.
On January 13, 1900, Jennie attempted #suicide & shot herself in the abdomen with a shotgun. The shot wound was fatal, but shedidn't die at the time attempted, she remained alive and lucid for several hours.
While on her deathbed, she requested that the portion of her land inherited from her father, be sold to the other heirs and the money used to build a #church on the other part of the land so the people had a place worship and rejoice.
Jennie died on January 13, 1900.
In 1901, the church was completed and was named the Jennie Shelton memorial #Methodist Church. (About 50 years ago the Cleveland district of the Methodist church started a new church & the pews from Jennie Shelton Memorial Church we're moved to that new church, now named Wesley Memorial). #Abandoned #OldChurch #Memorial #BackRoad at Lamontville, Tennessee
#Beauty @ #BrushyMountainStatePrison #Butterfly #TigerSwallowtailButterfly #EasternTigerSwallowtailButterfly
The #TigerSwallowtail #Butterflies are beautiful, large butterflies that usually range 3.5" - 5.5" in size & easily identified by its black "tiger stripes". Male Eastern Tiger Swallowtails are always yellow, while females may be yellow or black. Females have a splash of iridescent blue wash on their tales, while males do not.
#TigerSwallowtails are often seen flying high over deciduous woods, forests, near muddy puddles, and along nearby streams, which #BrushyMountain has plenty of.
Their life spans are only about 2 weeks 😢. at Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary
#BrushyMountainState Prison - #PetrosTN
Brushy Mountain was established in 1896 and operated until 2009. It was a #MaximumSecurityPrison .
It was in the #GuinnessBookOfWorldRecords as being the only #prison in the United States that has a natural bluff as part of its #PrisonWall . The prison is nearly encircled by rugged wooded terrain in a remote section of the #CumberlandPlateau , adjacent to #FrozenHeadStatePark and Natural Area.
The original prison was a wooden structure built by prisoner labor. It was replaced in the 1920s with the castle-like building constructed from stone mined by prisoners from a quarry on the property. The enclosure wall and some of the buildings at Brushy Mountain were also constructed entirely from hand-carved stone, which was collected by inmates from the rock quarry near the prison.
The prison was designed in the shape of a Greek cross. The belief at that time was that the penitentiary's purpose was to convert inmates to Christianity.
In 2008 (a year before closing),Brushy Mountain was the oldest operating prison in #Tennessee .
Most famous Inmate & Escape attempt was #JamesEarlRay , the convicted killer of civil-rights leader, #MartinLutherKingJr On June 10, 1977, He and 6 other inmates escaped for 4 days in 1977. They used a ladder made from 20 pieces of conduit pipe to scale a wall surrounding the prison. Ray was captured less than 58 hours later in rugged mountain terrain 8 1/2 miles from the prison.
The only person from #MorganCounty to be executed was an inmate from Brushy Mountain who killed a guard while trying to escape. The inmate was sentenced to death in the #ElectricChair . The sentence was carried out in 1939. at Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary
This site uses the Instagram API, but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.
Piknu © 2018. All Right Reserved.