History photographer and rural explorer ❤️ Alabama and surrounding South ❤️
Report inappropriate content
Abandoned and property sold to adjacent rock quarry. Sink holes surround the property making exploration a true hazard.
Frank Ward's Corner Store
Ward's Corner Store is significant as the earliest remaining evidence of black commerce in Greenville, and as the best remaining local example of a late 19th/early 20th century neighborhood-based business.
The late 19th century marked the beginning of a movement for economic independence among
blacks. This movement resulted in the stimulation of black-owned businesses
during the 1880's and 1 8 9 0 ' s , and the subsequent establishment of a
national network of black businessmen (National Negro Business League) at the turn of the century.
Because Ward's Corner Store was indeed a neighborhood enterprise it gained a popularity that lasted throughout the 1960's. Offering the only establishment or institution for completely informed interaction and socialization,
the store came to serve a purpose beyond its obvious functions.
When Frank Ward died in 1925 after suffering a stroke while giving the "Invitation to Discipleship" in a local church, a lengthy obituary appeared
in the local newspaper and referred to him as "A Prominent Negro Preacher."
According to the article, Ward had been ill well over a year.
It also stated that Ward had many friends among the whites in the community; that
he had for some years "run a small store"; and finally that he had in his safe $1,600 in cash. Today, the grave sites of Ward and his wife are the most imposing in Magnolia Cemetery.
Today, the place sits abandoned and empty in need of restoration.
A little flower of love,
That blossomed but to die.
Transplanted now above
To bloom with God on high.
Everything that’s comes from this earth will eventually go back to it. Nature reclaims rural church in West Virginia.
Just the right amount of patina and grit 👌 and I’m always a sucker for ghost signs 😍
Thornhill Plantation was developed as a cotton plantation in the early 1830s and extended over 2,600 acres. It utilized the labor of 156 slaves by 1860. About a third of the slaves lived in quarters behind the plantation house.
Built in 1837 for Samuel Wilson Davidson, a native of North Carolina. He settled in Bibb County (then Cahaba County) in 1819.
He was one of the first people to purchase lots along the east bank of the Cahaba River in what would become the city of Centreville during 1823. Davidson eventually amassed farmlands amounting to more than 2,000 acres. His real estate was valued at $12,000 and he owned 98 slaves in 1850. By 1860, Davidson was the most extensive planter and wealthiest citizen in the area. He died in 1863.
This site uses the Instagram API, but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.
Piknu © 2018. All Right Reserved.